Welcome!

The Gary Rosenthal Collection is pleased to be an active part of the community. Through this blog we hope to share our current activities as well as provide a place for feedback from those we have been involved with in the past. Add your email to our mailing list for updates on upcoming projects and special deals:


Monday, December 29, 2008

The True Meaning of Mensch

S. Grossman writes in with this poignant story:
"Gary-
It was wonderful seeing you again today. Attached is the picture of the sculpture you created for me and the story behind it:

My father passed away in 1976. When my mother opened his wallet, she found two $10 bills. She gave one bill to my brother and one to myself, asking us to find something meaningful to purchase in remembrance of my father. I carried that $10 bill for many months, looking for something special in his memory.

As I was walking through a local mall, I saw an arts and crafts show, and met Gary Rosenthal. I asked if a sculpture could be made of my father, sitting in his wheelchair, reading a book, under a tree, which is the image that I remembered most of my father in his later years. Gary said he could make the sculpture and he completed it in about a month's time. I went to his home to pick up the piece, and was brought to tears with the realistic image that had been created. I told Gary the story of the $10 bill that I had kept in my wallet and when I asked about the price of the sculpture, I planned to apply the $10 towards the purchase. To my astonishment Gary took the $10 bill and said the purchase was complete!



This piece is my most meaningful possession and Gary's good deed has never been forgotten. He is the true meaning of a mensch."

No comments: